EXTRA VIRGIN - To reap the many benefits of coconut oil, it is essential to choose organic unrefined cold pressed coconut oil. When you open the lid it must smell of fresh coconuts
Coconut oil does not contain cholesterol. Pure coconut oil has around 50% lauric acid and when lauric acid is present in the body, it is converted into monolaurin, a monoglyceride compound which exhibits antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal properties. It acts by disrupting the lipid membranes in organisms like fungus, bacteria and viruses, thus destroying them.
The vast majority of the fats in coconut oil are medium-chain triglycerides. These medium chain fatty acids has tremendous health benefits; they are easy for the body to burn as fuel for energy (ketones). The body burns medium chain fatty acids at once and makes the energy available to the brain, liver, heart etc in form of ketones. Any excess gets dumped - no fat is stored! The protective effects on the heart, brain, kidneys, colon, pancreas, and other organs; the metabolic boosting and energizing effects; and the anti-cancer, anti-diabetes, and anti-Alzheimer’s effects come principally from ketones.
Why Coconut Oil
- Make virgin coconut oil the number one oil in your kitchen. Use it to bake, sautee or fry your food and use it as salad 1 dressing, in your porridge or add to rice and maize.
- Take 1-4 table spoons a day as it is. Use it as an energy boost and add bounce to your day.
- Mix coconut oil in you smoothies, use as a whitener in coffee, add to your granola or spread it on your toast.
- Use as toothpaste and add a bit of bicarbonate of soda to help whitening your teeth. Oil pulling - use 1 table spoon of oil to swirl you teeth for 15 minutes per day. The antiviral and antibacterial properties helps agains tooth decay and gum decease.
- Use as a natural moisturiser for face and body. It helps to reduce scarring, acne, wrinkles, skin irritations and dry patches. Use as a face mask, apply to the body after a shower and use it to even out discolourations of the skin. Also fantastic as make up remover and shaving oil.
- Use as hair treatment for healthy and strong hair Apply to the hair as a moisturising mask, add a little bit to dry hair to manage frizz and avoid dandruff by massaging oil to the scalp. Also kills lice.
- Virgin coconut oil is 100% natural and safe to use for your baby. Massage, moisturise, and use for nappy rash, irritated skin and scalp problems.
Navida extra virgin coconut oil is made from fresh coconuts meat using the cold pressed centrifugal method. It is the only way to keep all the nutrients intact. The oil is very light with a scent of fresh coconuts. It is white when solid (under 18 degrees) and clear when liquid.